Cycling is an incredibly popular sport, with many different races taking place on common basis, we are going to look at some of the more popular races available. In all sport, popularity leads to better betting opportunities with more places to bet and more odds available to the bettor, the wider coverage of bigger races can help with research as well. If you are going to do historic research, the additional coverage of races in years gone by will only serve to make your researching easier.
Top Cycling Races
- Tour de France – Part of the European Grand Tour and the most notorious of bike races, practically everybody with access to media has heard of the tour de France. With a history spanning over 100 years and more than 100 editions later, the tour de France has cemented itself as the most famous cycle race in history. Spanning 23 days and averaging at 3500km, the tour de France is no doubt one of the more brutal races. Cycling in intense July heat while constantly battling the elements takes its toll on not only rider but the bicycles as well, it’s no wonder why last year the tour de France has built a reputation of being the most popular cycling event in the world.
- Vuelta a España – Based off of the success of the tour de France, Vuelta a españa is another massive endurance race in the European Grand Tour. Spanning a similar 23 days with 21 full day stages, this promises to be another event to challenge even the most professional of riders. The Vuelta a España usually takes place during August and September.
- Giro d’Italia – the last of the European grand tour races on our list is the Giro d’Italia. Also based somewhat off of the success of the Tour de France, the Giro d’Italia is an endurance race spanning over 23 days with 21 full day stages.
- There are, however, a few key differences in the Giro d’Italia. Foremost is the terrain, while in the other two races of the European Grand tour tend to lean more to open flat terrain, the Giro d’Italia includes sever climbing stages, which at times have competitors climb over 4500m in a single day. While the tour de France is generally considered to be rougher on riders from the sheer distance, personally I believe the Giro d’Italia to be one of the hardest cycling races available to bet on. The sheer climbs are nothing short of brutal on the competitors and their bikes alike.
- Cape Town Cycle Tour – While not one of the longest races available, Cape Town cycle tour’s claim to fame is being the single race with the most competitors in the world. Over 35000 cyclists from around the world compete in fantastic race spanning over 100km of the most breath taking scenery imaginable. While not the most challenging race, it can be a great watch and bet on with the manic number of cyclists competing.